Schools Sustainability Challenge – Event 1 (Botanical Gardens)
Lactic Turkey Events together with the Auckland Council would like to invite you to participate in the 2020 SCHOOLS SUSTAINABILITY CHALLENGE SERIES.
Each race is for teams of 4 students (years 5-8) who will compete in a 2 hour event, which includes a mix of running/walking, navigation and sustainability based activities. Teams will navigate to as many checkpoints as they can, collecting points for each checkpoint visited. To earn extra points teams can complete sustainability themed activities which will require some research and teamwork. Examples of activities could be to identify native bird calls, match a pest to the correct trap used or make something from flax.
- 2 hours long
- 4 person teams
- Parent or teacher shadow
- Registration from 9am
- Start at 10am
- $10 per student
- A prize giving will take place afterwards
- Merit prizes for the top three teams
- Range of small spot prizes drawn randomly
This Innovative Series of Events Aims to:
- Introduce students to a wide range of experiences and have them spend time in and enjoy the natural settings of Auckland regional parks.
- Provide an opportunity for students to show their physical capabilities through recreational activities in the outdoors.
- Provide a challenge in offering a range of activities that help students understand how parks and our environment are managed, especially with regard to pest management (Ark in the Park, PTA control etc), and the impacts of recreation.
- Help foster a sense of stewardship by exposing them to Auckland Regional Parks environments, how special they are, the threats posed to them and an understanding of how students can help minimise these.