BACKYARD ULTRA NZ
Photos: Find your Feet Films, Shaun Collins, Photos4Sale
What is Backyard Ultra?
A Backyard Ultra is a type of ultramarathon where participants run laps of a set course of 6.706 metres (4.167 miles) and they must finish each loop in less than an hour. The race restarts each hour with all those that finished the previous lap on time. The race is over when only one runner remains to complete a lap. This runner is marked as the winner and only finisher, with all other runners receiving a DNF (Did Not Finish). The strange distance is because the distance for 24 laps is equal to 100 miles.
Official Backyard Ultras of New Zealand
There are currently 7 official Backyard Ultras in NZ
The affiliated NZ Backyard Ultra events which follow all the Backyard Ultra rules and count towards Backyard Ultra New Zealand records and qualification for Team or Individual World Champs are:
- July – Krayzie Midwinter Backyard Ultra
- September – Scenic Circles Backyard Ultra
- September – Brighton’s Backyard Ultra
- October – River-Run Backyard Ultra
- November – Arrowtown Backyard Ultra
- February – Pigs Backyard Ultra
- March – Riverhead Backyard ReLaps Ultra
Current New Zealand Records
- NZ Venue record – Sam Harvey with 46 loops at the NZ venue of the World Backyard Team Champs in Auckland on October 2022.
- NZ Worldwide Backyard Record – Sam Harvey with 101 loops at the Aussie Masters Backyard Ultra at Dead Cow Gully in Australia on 21 June 2023.
- NZ Venue record – Fiona Hayvice with 37 loops at the NZ venue of the World Backyard Team Champs in Auckland on October 2022.
- NZ Worldwide Record – Katie Wright with 50 loops at Bigs Backyard Ultra, Tennessee, USA – October 2019.
International Backyard Competition
Backyard Ultra World Team Championships
There are currently 3 NZ Backyard ultras that are official silver ticket events (Pigs, ReLaps and Krayzies) and this means that the winners of each of these events automatically get selected in the NZ World Team Backyard Champs which are held every second year (the next one is on October 2024). The rest of the 15 person team is made up from the at-large list which is the highest number of loops run in any official backyard ultra between August 16, 2022 and ends August 15, 2024 .
You can see the top 15 people that would make the NZ team for 2024 here backyardultra.com/2024roster-worldteamchampionship/ by filtering for the country NZ. This is kept up to date based on results from each qualifying backyard ultra. The current 15 person team looks like this:
Backyard Ultra World Individual Championships
The World Individual Backyard Champs is held in Tennessee (USA) every second year (next in 2023) and this is made up of the winner of each of the nations in the World Team Backyard Champs. In addition to those champions, the remaining spots are selected from the At-Large list… the top performances of the previous 2 year qualifying period (August 16, 2021 to August 15, 2023).
Results from the 2022 World Team Backyard Champs
- World Team Results from the 2022 World Team Backyard Champs
- NZ team Results/Leaderboard from the 2022 World Team Backyard Champs
NZ BACKYARD ULTRA DATA
You can search for yours or someone elses results using the search function or you can sort a particular event by clicking on the column header
Updated 5 September 2023 post the Scenic Circle Backyard