The courses will be released on the week of the event (usually the Monday evening) and the final details email will be sent to all participants by at least the Wednesday in the week of the event. This is to ensure the first time mystery and adventure of the courses rather than have people pre-run them – to keep the exploring feel of these events.
Courses will be clearly marked with course marking and marshals where necessary.
There will be water stations on all courses except the Kids Dash.
Although we don’t release course details for our Wild Auckland events until the week of the event, to maintain a level of adventure and exploring, 50km requires a bit of training, so here is some basic information to help you plan.
- Distance: 50km
- Vert Climb: approx 2050m 😲
- Timetable: As per the Timetable section on this page below. Start 7am.
- Cut-offs: We want to get as many people to finish the ultra as possible but also can’t have our marshals out there all day so will have cut-offs in place to ensure everyone is finished in approx 9 hours. Therefore you may not pass the event base at Piha (approx 35km), to do the Anawhata section after 1:30pm noon (6.5hrs).
- Aid Stations: There will be aid stations at 11km Whatipu (basic), 21km Karekare (full sha-boodle) and 35km Piha (full sha-boodle). Because this is a casual low key ultra as part if our Wild Auckland series (and hence lower priced), we won’t be having a huge smorgasbord of food and drink like you’d expect at premium ultras. We’ll likely have water/tailwind/jet planes, gingernut cookies and chips.
- Start Location: The start is at the Karamatura carpark.
- Finish Location: The finish is the same as all the other courses, at the Piha Domain.
- Transport from your car at the Finish to the Start: You’ll need to sort this out – carpooling.
- Compulsory Gear: whistle, wind and waterproof seam sealed jacket, thermal hat/Thir, at least 1 litre of fluid, some food, a survival blanket, a charged mobile phone and a first aid kit.